(English) Scientist aerosol-cloud interactions
If you are interested in a job where you will study aerosols and their interactions with clouds using models and observations, then this vacancy is a great opportunity.
What will you be doing?
In this position you will have the opportunity to enhance your skills in both model development, data analysis and the synergy of the two topics through data assimilation and model parameterization evaluation, fostering diversity in your work.
You will contribute to the development of EC-Earth4, with a focus on the description of aerosols and aerosol-cloud interactions. You will perform simulations to evaluate how novel descriptions and parameterizations introduced within the project change the aerosol effective radiative forcing on global and regional scales. You will help preparing the model for CMIP7 and make contributions to relevant Model Intercomparison Projects (MIPs) aimed at quantifying aerosol forcings and associated climate responses.
In addition, you will be actively involved in the validation of EarthCARE Level-1 and Level-2 products and the parameterizations of aerosol-cloud interactions to be developed within the project. You will act as the EarthCARE product ambassador for the CERTAINTY teams and assist in data assimilation efforts of EarthCARE products into the ECMWF Integrated Forecasting System (IFS).
This gives you energy
Thinking out of the box to generate new solutions gives you energy. You regularly exchange knowledge, information and ideas with others and actively seek feedback on your own ideas. Furthermore, you also have a results-oriented attitude and the skills to manage your work in a timely manner and make progress in the project.
When you need more information we invite you to have a digital cup of coffee with:
Twan van Noije, project leader of CERTAINTY, at +316-42252589 or Gerd-Jan van Zadelhoff, project leader of the EarthCARE L2 science team, at +316-55457524.
- a PhD degree in atmospheric science (or similar)
- experience in climate and/or aerosol modelling and/or satellite observations
- demonstrated experience with Fortran, Python and Linux
- you are fluent in English (oral and written). Knowledge of the Dutch language would be an advantage but is not essential
Je herkent je in de volgende eigenschappen
In addition to the requirements, you recognize yourself in the following characteristics: you take into account a broad range of relevant scientific and social developments in the design of your work. You involve stakeholders in the formulation of your research questions and seek the right balance between societal needs and scientific quality standards. You are steadfast and adhere to scientific integrity.
- Salarisniveau schaal 11
- Maandsalaris Min €3.662 – Max. €5.586 (bruto)
- Dienstverband Arbeidsovereenkomst voor bepaalde tijd
- Contractduur 3 years
- Minimaal aantal uren per week 36
- Maximaal aantal uren per week 36
Plenty of growth and development opportunities
The central government attaches great importance to personal growth and career development and offers numerous opportunities for this. These include attending training courses and obtaining certifications. We also offer career coaching if you need it.
In addition to your salary, you receive an individual choice budget (IKB) consisting of vacation pay of 8% and an annual end-of-year bonus. This IKB consists of money (16.37% of your gross annual salary) and/or time. With the IKB you make the choices that suit you and you can compose part of your terms of employment yourself. For example, you can have part of your monthly income paid out whenever you wish, convert the IKB into leave or spend it on tax-friendly objectives. Our other fringe benefits include company fitness and full reimbursement of your commuting expenses.
- apply immediately, we look forward to it!
- once we have found the right candidate, we close the vacancy
- the interviews will take place on Wednesday afternoon, March 6
- start date: 1st of June 2024 with a duration of 3 years
- obtaining references can be part of the application process. An (online) pre-selection test, an assessment, making a case and (online) screening via databases, among others, can be part of the application process
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.